Ford Door Handle Buyer's Guide
A broken door handle is a huge inconvenience. If you own a Ford with a broken door handle, you probably want to get it fixed as soon as possible. This buyer’s guide has all the answers you need.
What’s Wrong With My Door Handle?
Are you unsure what’s wrong with your door handle? You can start by taking a look at the two most common Ford door handle problems. The problems are:
- Door handle falling off. This is due to a broken small plastic part in the lock area.
- Door latch failure. Does your Ford door fly open occasionally? If so, the door latch may have failed. This happens because the pawl spring tab is faulty.
It’s possible that your door handle has another issue. If you can’t figure out what it is, it’s easier to replace the door handle instead of trying to figure out what’s wrong with it.
Should I Repair Or Replace A Failing Door Handle?
Wondering if you should repair or replace your door handle? Let this guide help you!
Repair your Ford door handle if:
- You know what’s wrong with your door handle
- OEM replacement components are available
- It’s easy for you to repair the handle
Replace your Ford door handle if:
- You’re not sure what’s wrong with your door handle
- There are no OEM replacement components available
- Repairing the issue means taking apart the assembly
How Can I Replace My Door Handle?
Have you determined that replacing your door handle is the better solution? You can replace it yourself with this set of instructions. It’s based on the 2013-2018 Ford Escape, but you may be able to apply it to another Ford model. Here’s a general overview of the process:
- Remove the door panel
- Remove the door handle
- Install the new door handle
- Put the door panel back on
The tutorial has much more detailed directions. Check it out!
Got any questions we didn’t answer in this buyer’s guide? Please contact us!