How To Replace A Ford Key Fob Battery
When your Ford key fob's battery dies, your key fob stops working. That can be quite inconvenient. You would have to start using the physical key, which is an ancient method to many car owners. You also wouldn't able to use other features offered on the key fob, such as remote start or trunk release.
The good news is that it's cheap and easy to replace a Ford key fob battery. In this article, we'll provide step-by-step instructions on how to change your Ford's key fob.
Like we discussed in this blog post, Ford offers several different types of keys. In this article, we'll provide two tutorials:
- Key fob battery replacement tutorial for Ford key fobs with a physical key that will stick out when you press a button
- Key fob battery replacement tutorial for keyless entry and push-to-start key fobs
Where To Find A New Key Fob Battery
There are several different Ford key fob battery sizes. So it's important to find out the right battery size before buying a replacement. You might find the information in your owner's manual, or you can Google it.
It might be helpful to take your current Ford key fob with you when buying a new battery. Some parts stores will have staff who can identify which battery is used in your key fob.
You can also find a key fob battery at a big box store, like Target. Those batteries are pretty standard, and they're used in a lot of devices.
How To Replace The Battery In A Ford Key Fob With A Physical Key
Image Credit: PaulsTravelPictures
Do you have a Ford key fob with a physical key that pops out when you press a button? If so, this battery replacement tutorial is for you.
- Pop out the key.
- There are two holes in the space where the key used to be. Grab a small screwdriver and then insert it into the second hole. Push it down to make the bottom section of the key fob pop out.
- Remove the bottom section. Use the physical key to pop off the back panel.
- Now you can see the battery. Remove it and then put the new one in.
- Put everything back together in the reverse order of removal.
How To Replace The Battery In A Ford Keyless Entry Fob
If you have a keyless entry fob, here's how you can replace the battery:
- At the top of the key fob, on the back, there’s a small button. Press it and then pull the top piece off. The emergency physical key will come out with it.
- With the emergency key, remove the back panel of the key.
- Now you can see the battery. Remove it and then put the new battery in.
- Push the back panel in and then put the top piece back in.
That’s all! It’s a pretty simple and straightforward process.